Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Person


I watch Grey's Anatomy on Netflix, a season behind most other people.

I love Christina and Meredith. Meredith always says, "Christina is my person." Christina says the same about Meredith. I'm jealous.

I totally get that, and have totally wanted that my entire life. I've read up on introverts a bit here and there recently, and we introverts tend to crave that "one person". The person they can go to whenever they need to. The person who knows their entire life history. The person who knows their entire life history and still loves them anyway.

When I was younger, I thought if I had a sister, she would have been my person. A lot of my friends seem to be super close with their sisters.

I don't feel like I've ever had my person. What a lonely thought, right?
I don't even know what to do about that. I don't think there is even anything I can do about that.

2 comments:

  1. I am close with my sister but I would not consider her my person. I can certainly go to her at any time but our relationship is also crazy, you know?

    I think my BFF Irene would be the closest to my person. We became friends in college and have been friends since. I know I can say just about anything to her and she'll be there for me.

    Jon would be my person except I can't talk to him about past relationships and he didn't know me when I was a dumbass teenager.

    I think the hardest part about being an introvert is needing that person but not feeling comfortable getting close enough to someone and being vulnerable enough to let someone become that person.

    But yeah, Irene helped me pee on my wedding day so I think she's my person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If introverts love company, so to speak, and it helps you to know this, I've never had "my person" either. I've had and have good friends, but there is no one person who's been a constant forever. Friends who were really close friends in my younger years are no longer in my life. And "newer" friends don't know the "early" stuff, but I don't suppose that truly matters. They hear those stories when they're relevant.

    To Laura's point about not feeling comfortable enough to let someone get close enough to become that person, my introversion spins that a bit into not feeling like it's OK to be "selfish" and talk about myself as much as would be necessary for someone to know me that well.

    I suppose not everyone gets a "my person." Just as some people never get married. Or get married to the person to whom they're really meant to be married. Or maybe the definition of "my person" is different for different people. Or maybe some people have multiple persons throughout their lives, the right persons for given stages of their lives.

    ReplyDelete